Saturday, September 8, 2007

New Friends in Richmond!

I would like to introduce you to the family we have been witnessing to here in Richmond. I met Nyreng weeks ago in the checkout line at Walmart. After a very short conversation while paying for my groceries I knew that I needed to meet with her again and continue talking with her about spiritual things. She was very open to more conversation and wanted me to come to her home. I got directions and made plans to go. Shea and I went together and had a great time talking with Nyreng and learning all we could about her. She asked if we could come back another day that week and meet her husband. We were thrilled! (You must realize that there is a language barrier and that we are experiencing first hand what it will be like as we share the Gospel in other lands.) From what we gather...they have not made a personal decision to ask Jesus into their hearts but they assume their salvation because of that heritage in their family. That they are born as believers. Well that was all the second visit and then we were invited back for another visit. She wanted to cook for us...African style! We went this past Wednesday and had a wonderful time. The food was great and I tried lamb for the first time. This family is poor according to our standards but they went all out for us. I think she had even bought eating utensils for us. Normally they eat with their hands. Conversation was great and we learned lots of details about Theip (husband) that will be with me forever. He was one of the "lost boys" who made an escape from Sudan to avoid being a slave. Wow! Hasn't seen his parents or homeland in 15 years.


There are many details but I would just like to share with you my THANKS for praying for this family as we continue to meet and talk to them. I will be going back on Saturday and showing Nyreng how to bake some sweets. (I had taken dessert to the meal and they went nuts!) I saw an immediate opportunity to help build a skill in her and share the Gospel at the same time. How fun is this!!!!!!

Rachel

Here are some pics of us with them at their apt. and a park they took us to....


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

red and yellow black and white, they are precious in His sight!..Jesus loves the little children of the world!

what a treasure, these new friends!

hey!....i want recipes, too! (not yours this time ra-ra....NYRENG'S!)

"Anonymaw"

Anonymous said...

Shea & Rachel,
So proud of you both for serving like you do! I just stumbled upon your blog and it is so good to read about your work. "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news" (Romans 10:15). Your feet are beautiful and your hearts are too!

A million thank you's for your obedience to God!! I am thankful for the days I had at RBHS where I got to know you both, and Rhonda, and your parents as well. Keep telling the good news and sending reports to your friends of what God is up to around you. God is good! And Jesus is first and last...

Anonymous said...

SHEA, FIXIN TO START ANOTHER CLASS WITH COY. JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW I CATCH YOU ON PRAYER REQUESTS. LORIE ASKED ME TO LET RACHEL KNOW, SHE THINKS ABOUT HER AND HAS BEEN PRAYING FOR HER AND THE KIDS. JUST FINISHED UP DANIEL AND IT MADE ME THINK OF HIM IN A FORIEGN PLACE AND YOU GUYS IN POLAND. HOW AWESOME GOD IS TO BE SO POWERFUL, YET HE STILL HAS TIME FOR LITTLE THINGS THAT MATTER JUST TO US.
JEFF, LORIE, AARON AND ETHAN.

Gary Kobet said...

Shea and Rachel,
Just read your latest. It was so exciting and encouraging and reminded me of Joel's sermon this past Sunday, on Colossians 4:5 and Ephesians 5:15-16. The title was "Redeeming the Time", always being ready and making the most of every opportunity to share Christ. Sounds like you guys are all over that. Keep it up, for as Joel reminded us, the opportunity will not always be there (2 Timothy 4:3).

We love you and your entire family, whether here or in Richmond or Poland or wherever the Lord calls you. And know we are praying for you.

"And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ"

Love in Christ,
Gary, Jackie, Deanna, and Jack

Anonymous said...

You all are doing so good! the pic of claire and the little girl is priceless and speaks volumes!!!! If all the world were like the hearts of children! Miss you and love you bunches. mommaD