Friday, August 15, 2008

Update on this last month's events....(part two)

Well, our HFBC team left on August 1st and our next team arrived on August 2nd...Charleston Southern University Men's Basketball Team! This group of players, coaches, and their families (16 in all) were an unbelievable blessing. The first day they were here we started with our orientation and before I began, Coach Barclay Radebaugh said a few words and let the guys know what their theme verse would be during their stay here...Matthew 20:26-29. He spoke of how they were here to serve, not be served...and let me tell you, these guys fulfilled that duty. The schedule was packed full during their stay...On Monday they practiced in the morning, handed out fliers in the afternoon, and then went to a park where we grilled hotdogs to give away (over 100 dogs) and the guys met some of the local "ballers" in Krakow. Tuesday thru Thursday we had the basketball camp for kids, ages 8-18, from 9-12. Each of those evenings were spent playing exhibition games against Polish teams. On Tuesday after camp, they went to an orphanage where the kids there absolutely fell in love with the guys!! The kids came to the camp and the games the next two days proudly wearing the CSU shirts they were given!! On Wednesday we were able to take the guys to the Wisla pool right outside the gym where all the campers were allowed to come and have fun as well. Friday was special as Seba and I took them to Auschwitz. Several had questioned how God could allow something like Auschwitz to happen and so before we left, Hope Radebaugh, wife of the coach, prepared the team by opening God's Word and explaining to them that what they were about to see was done by some incredibly evil people...she explained that we live in a fallen world and that those who don't have God's Spirit can be capable of such evil. It was quite a sobering experience for all the guys.

That evening, we had a "get to know the team" night at our coffee house. It was a great time as Seba asked each of the players and Coach Radebaugh personal questions, many of which were quite hilarious. Several of the players had the chance to tell of their personal walk with Jesus Christ. Coach Radebaugh also gave an incredible speech at the end of the evening in which the Gospel was shared...I wasn't sure if I should shout some pre-game chatter or say "AMEN"!!!

Saturday evening they played against the "Krakow All-Star" team and they actually gave them their best game. Their previous three opponents were held under 5o and the last team scored 73. I have never been more impressed with how the team handled themselves not only off the floor, but on the floor as well. I am for sure their biggest fan in all of Europe.

After the game, the entire team came over to our place for dinner...Rachel had made 25 lbs. of barbecue for everyone!!

Another blessing during their stay was how our children absolutely fell in love with the players and vice versa...especially Claire and Philip! Claire latched onto "G", from Lithuania, and Philip latched onto everyone else, especially "Big Q" and Jamarco, who left Philip his Sponge-Bob backpack.

I encourage you to check out their website... csusports.com ...they have all the game breakdowns and a special section called "Travelin with Tovi" where he blogged about each day! You can find it under the men's basketball tab.

It was such an honor to have these 16 people here and I look forward to keeping in touch with them in the future!
God really used this group to share the Good News and they also opened up many doors for those of us living here to do more of the same!
Below are some pics from the week...



















5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shea and Rachel! I didn't realize I could leave comments and not have a google account... I should let my children teach me more about the computer! ha ha

Anyway, I've enjoyed your site here and love to see how you guys are doing. We pray for y'all regularly. We're fine here. We've moved Mom and Dad in with us in a house in Spring Valley in Chattanooga. It's an adjustment, but it's a good one. We're doing well, and we can see God's hand in this whole thing.

Take care. I will get by your parent's house, Rachel, I promise (for thing for Michaela). I haven't thought to call them before I left the house and headed to Hixson lately. We are usually there at least once a week.

Anonymous said...

Oh no. I cannot believe I didn't tell you who I was when I wrote that comment! I guess that's the danger of leaving it anonymously!

Love, Valerie

Hannah Jane Hooks said...

hi mckennna! I can't wait to see you! I have been tlking about it for months now! I can't believe we have been in our countries, for almost a whole year! amazing. anyway, I will see you, in a while!


hannah h. aka hannah jo

Anonymous said...

Hey bro.
had you on my heart and wanted to stop and let you know, I'm praying for ya. hydro

Ms. Anita said...

Hi Shea, Rachel, McKenna, Philip, and Claire!

We saw Bro. Joel & Diane at Zaxby's the other day (maybe several weeks ago). :) Anyway, she mentioned they'd get to come see you for a couple weeks or so. Hope that's going well... or will soon go well. (Can't remember for sure when she said they'd be coming.)

Praying for you,
Anita