Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Trips to Auschwitz...

Rachel and I have been to Auschwitz two times in the last month. Once when we took the guys that were here with Impact 360 and also when we took Rachel's parents. It is hard to properly describe this place. It is not at all what I had expected. It is very "touristy", very clean and well kept. I knew some of the history, seen pictures, and films about the atrocities that took place there and so it was surreal to actually be standing on these grounds where over 1 million individuals lost their lives. The majority of these people were as we know, Jewish, but a large percentage of these people were Polish, Russian, Hungarian and other nationalities from all over Europe. Please pray that God would heal this country from its storied and difficult past.
famous sign going into Auschwitz..."Work Gives Freedom"
...the firing wall

These are the gallows where the S.S. general who was responsible for murdering countless prisoners here was also hanged after he was tried in a Polish court.
...the crematorium

No comments: